[ivory-search 404 "The search form 139 does not exist"]

Champions League race takes fresh twist as Newcastle United rivals face huge injury blow

March 31, 2025

The race for the Premier League top five is about to get back under way after what has been a lengthy wait. Newcastle United will put their Carabao Cup celebrations behind them to focus in the task of qualifying for the Champions League for the second time in three seasons.

Eddie Howe’s men have 10 games in which to secure enough points to finish in at least fifth place, but while it’s all about what the Magpies can achieve, they will no doubt have one eye on their rivals. Nottingham Forest, Chelsea and Manchester City currently occupy the places immediately above United, with Brighton, Fulham, Aston Villa and Bournemouth packed tightly behind them.

So it will not have gone unnoticed on Tyneside that Man City talisman Erling Haaland left their FA Cup game at Bournemouth with his foot in a protective boot on Sunday night. The Norwegian striker was on target for Pep Guardiola’s side in a 2-1 quarter-final win over the Cherries, but limped out of the game in the second half.

City, who face Leicester at the Etihad Stadium on Wednesday night before going to Old Trafford for the Manchester derby on Sunday, are now sweating on the fitness of the striker, who has 30 goals in 40 appearances in all competitions this term. His absence could be a major blow for Guardiola’s side, as they have struggled for goals without his presence in the team.

They were active in the January transfer window, of course, with Omar Marmoush signed from Eintracht Frankfurt. The Egyptian bagged a hat-trick against Newcastle in February, but has only scored one other Premier League goal for City.

Guardiola was uncertain over the extent of Haaland’s injury on Sunday night, and would only say: “I don’t know yet, we will have to see”. However, he was delighted with the win over Bournemouth, which saw them come from a goal down to secure an FA Cup semi-final against Nottingham Forest.

“We talked a lot and we saw a lot of images that were not in our standard, nowhere near where we had been to have won six Premier Leagues in seven years and seven FA Cup semi-finals in a row,” the City boss said. “And we just focused. It doesn’t matter if we play without wingers today or sometimes we play with wingers, there are minimum requirements that we have to show; respect for your mate, you have to make the effort. And today we did it.

“I spoke with the team at half-time so we are good. We are in your hands. We conceded just one shot on target. That means how Bernardo, Kova, the senior players, the legendary players that give the most incredible things in the club, they make a step up again and made an excellent performance. I’m really pleased to be back at Wembley for a seventh time in a row. An incredible achievement.”

Pundit backs Aston Villa for Champions League despite Newcastle defeat – but on one condition
Read more >>
Newcastle United’s ‘champions challenge’ with four 2023 trophy-winning opponents in just 12 days
Read more >>
PSG players frustrated after Benfica draw, says Galtier
Read more >>
LoginRegister